Menus and commands
Freeplane menus are defined in a XML file. This file defines:
- menus and commands available in menus
- contextual menus and commands
- keyboard shortcuts (sometimes also called accelerators).
This file allows any Freeplane's user with a basic technical knowledge to customized Freeplane user interface either to use a personnalized Freeplane or to suggest new menu structure to Freeplane community.
Standard Menus file name and location
The file containing menus is named "mindmapmodemenu.xml". This file is included in Freeplane distribution and can be found in: "[FP_INSTALL_DIR]\core\org.freeplane.core\lib\freeplaneeditor.jar\xml".
|Full Freeplane mode||mindmapmodemenu.xml|
|Map view only mode||browsemodemenu.xml|
|File browser mode||filemodemenu.xml|
|Applet menu (when map is published on a web site)||appletMenu.xml|
To be completed by Freeplane developpers...
- Step 1 : get the standard menu file
- Goto directory: "[FP_INSTALL_DIR]\resources\xml" on the computer where you have installed Freeplane
- Find file "mindmapmodemenu.xml"
- Step 2 : install the standard menu file as a personnal menu file
- Launch Freeplane
- Goto menu : Tools > Open user directory (the directory displayed should be something like : "...\Data\Freeplane\1.2.x")
- There create one of the following sub-folders: "[USER_DIR]\resources\xml" or "[FP_INSTALL_DIR]\resources\xml"
- Copy in the new sub-folder "xml" the file "mindmapmodemenu.xml" located at the end of Step 1
- Step 3 : modifying the content of your personnal menu file
- Open the "mindmapmodemenu.xml" with a text editor (I suggest Notepad++), now you can perform the changes you want ... see below.
The simplest actions are to re-order commands in a menu, move commands from one menu to an other or add separator to group commands in a menu. You can perform these operations by a simple Cut/Paste of the XML content (in respect with XML structure) in your personnal "mindmapmodemenu.xml" file created through step 1 to 3 above. You can also perform other changes like adding submenus or add/remove/move toolbars icons or change keyboard shortcuts, see developper's reference above for more informations. Don't forget : you need to restart Freeplane to reflect the changes made in FreePlane menus file.
- Some rules have been established to organize and maintain Freeplane menu, see Rules to build user friendly menus.